Sunday, October 31, 2010

Betty Benson in Catalina 1947


[click on images to enlarge]

My mom used to love going to Catalina Island in the mid to late 40's. The Casino Ballroom had all the latest big bands and she and her friends would go there to dance. They befriended a local legend named "Pops" and mom always spoke of him as if he was actually related. So it was no surprise to find yet another photo of her on the island. What was a surprise was what she was doing in the photo. 


Here, she's apparently borrowed hat and violin from the local mariachi troupe.  She was 17 years old.  I think she wore that same style bathing suit for the rest of her life!  This is not exactly how I remember her. And maybe that's why I love this picture so much. It's the mom I never knew. And the mom my dad fell in love with. How great is that?

1 comment:

Gina said...

Love this picture of your Mom -- so cute!!